LAIPLA is proud to present its 2019 Annual Spring Seminar Retreat. Spring Seminar is a three-day, can’t miss, get-a-way weekend that combines high-quality and in-depth legal content with an abundance of networking opportunities and social activities. More than 30+ speakers consisting of leading legal scholars and experts, as well as in-house counsel and private practitioners will be presenting material on issues related to intellectual property and cutting edge technology.
This year’s Spring Seminar will take place at the spectacular Terranea Oceanfront Resort on the Palos Verdes Peninsula which is one of Southern California’s most scenic and coveted coastlines. Surrounded by the tranquil waves of the Pacific and overlooking Catalina Island, Terranea offers luxurious amenities, including eight unique dining experiences, a full-service spa and fitness center, an award-winning golf course, four swimming pools, and many ecological enrichment programs. It is a great place to enjoy a weekend with family members of all ages while also learning and networking.
Join us at Spring Seminar 2019, as a panel of distinguished IP thought leaders (known for their informative and entertaining presentations) review the key developments in copyright, trademark, and patent law over the past year and provide insight on how those developments will impact the practice of IP law going forward. The program will also feature a variety of panels focused on IP and related topics including:
- The meaning of “on sale” under the America Invents Act (AIA) as a result of the Helsinn v. Teva case;
- Managing a client’s IP dispute in forums around the globe, as well as what venue decisions should be considered when pursuing or defending IP rights;
- The current landscape for technology startups and the venture capital funding that helps these companies get on their feet;
- The direction that disruptive technologies like artificial intelligence and virtual reality are taking, as well as the far-reaching legal implications of those technologies; and
- Implicit and explicit bias, how such bias affects not only hiring decisions, but also jurors’ perceptions of lawyers in the courtroom, and steps that can be taken to eliminate implicit and explicit bias.
BASIC REGISTRATION FEES
In-House: $700 ($850 after March 8)
LAIPLA Members / Daily Journal / Pepperdine Alumni / OCIPLA Members / LACBA ELIPS Members / USCIP Institute: $1150 ($1300 after March 8)
Government Attorney Member: $550
Non-Members: $1250 ($1400 after March 8)
ACC Exclusive: $700 ($850 after March 8)
Basic Registration Fees includes admission for registrant to the following:
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday MCLEs
- Friday Cocktail Reception, and Poker Tournament
- Saturday Breakfast, Keynote Lunch, Cocktail Reception & Dinner and President’s Suite Party
- Sunday Coffee Break
Spouse/Guest Add-On for an additional $175 includes admission for a guest to the following:
- Friday Cocktail Reception & Poker Tournament
- Saturday Cocktail Reception, Dinner & President’s Suite Party
LAIPLA Annual Golf Tournament is an additional $90
Registration is due by April 15th to guarantee meals.
Hotel Reservations: A link to make your hotel reservation will be provided by LAIPLA. In order to receive the special discount hotel room rate of $325 per night, you must use the reservation link provided and make your hotel reservations directly with Terranea Resort. Please email your request for hotel reservation link to: firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Friday, March 8th.
LAIPLA has negotiated special discounts, available only to registered LAIPLA attendees and their guests. This includes:
- Reduced Resort Fee of $15.00 per night, per room (regularly $35.00 per night, per room)
- Reduced Valet Parking Fee of $15.00 per night, per car (regularly $38.00 per car)
- Complimentary WiFi access
- 10% Discount off Golf Green Fees at The Links Golf Course (based on availability)
- 10% Discount off Spa Menu Treatment Services (50-minutes or longer treatments) for Friday and Sunday only. Guest must request Group Discount at time of booking
- Pool and Beach Chair usage
- Fitness Center access, including scheduled complimentary classes (subject to size limitations)
For more information on Terranea Resort, please visit: www.terranea.com
Additional Activities NOT included in the Basic Registration Fee:
LAIPLA Annual Golf Tournament – Enjoy the ocean view at every green on this beautiful 9-hole course. Can you putt, drive, or chip like a pro or just want to have fun with an afternoon of camaraderie? Our tournament scramble includes any level of player. Golf registration of $90 includes green fees, pull cart, contest prizes, water bottle, and a sleeve of balls. Sign up by April 15 to secure a spot in our tournament. Golf rentals are available for an additional cost.
By registering for this event you are guaranteeing your reservation. There are no cancellation refunds for this event. Registrations may only be transferred to someone at the Registrant’s Firm or Company. All transfers must be made through the LAIPLA office at email@example.com.
Friday, April 26, 2019
Registration 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Opening Sessions 2:00 pm – 5:30 pm
Reception 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Poker Tournament 9:00 pm – 12:00 midnight
Saturday, April 27, 2019
Breakfast 7:30 am – 9:00 am
Sessions 9:00 am – 12:15 pm
Keynote Lunch 12:30 pm – 1:15 pm
Free Time 1:30 pm – 6:00 pm
Reception 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Dinner & Entertainment 7:30 pm – 10:00 pm
President’s Suite Party 10:00 pm – 1:00 am
Sunday, April 28, 2019
Sessions 9:00 am – 11:00 am
Thank you to our generous sponsors who have made this event possible!