LAIPLA is proud to present its flagship, nationally-renowned intellectual property conference—the annual Spring Seminar Retreat. Spring Seminar is a three-day, can’t miss, get-a-way weekend that combines high-quality and in-depth legal content with an abundance of networking opportunities and social activities. National speakers and leading legal scholars and experts will present material on cutting edge issues related to intellectual property and technology. Among the many presentations, there will be a keynote lunch address by Ms. Regan Smith, the General Counsel and Associate Register of Copyrights for the United States Copyright Office.
In addition, a panel of distinguished IP thought leaders (known for their informative and entertaining presentations) will review the key developments in copyright, trademark, and patent law over the past year and provide insight on how those developments will impact the practice of IP law going forward. The program will also feature a variety of panels focused on IP and related topics including:
- The meaning of “on sale” under the America Invents Act (AIA) as a result of the S.Ct. case Helsinn v. Teva and implications;
- Managing a client’s IP dispute in forums around the globe, as well as what venue decisions should be considered when pursuing or defending IP rights;
- The current landscape for technology startups and the venture capital funding that helps these companies get on their feet;
- The direction that disruptive technologies like artificial intelligence and virtual reality are taking, as well as the far-reaching legal implications of those technologies; and
- Implicit and explicit bias, how this bias affects not only hiring decisions, but also jurors’ perceptions of lawyers in the courtroom, and steps that can be taken to eliminate it.
BASIC REGISTRATION FEES
In-House: $700 ($850 after March 22)
LAIPLA Members / Daily Journal / Pepperdine Alumni / OCIPLA Members / LACBA ELIPS Members / USC IP Institute: $1150 ($1300 after March 22)
Government Attorney Member: $550
Non-Members: $1250 ($1400 after March 22)
ACC Exclusive: $700 ($850 after March 22)
Daily Student Rate (limited number) $200 each day (excluding Sat. Night Dinner which is additional cost)
Basic Registration Fees includes admission for registrant to the following:
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday MCLEs
- Friday Cocktail Reception, and Poker Tournament
- Saturday Breakfast, Keynote Lunch, Cocktail Reception & Dinner and President’s Suite Party
- Sunday Coffee Break
Spouse/Guest Add-On for an additional $175 includes admission for a guest to the following:
- Friday Cocktail Reception & Poker Tournament
- Saturday Cocktail Reception, Dinner & President’s Suite Party
LAIPLA Annual Golf Tournament is an additional $90
Registration is due by April 15th to guarantee meals.
Hotel Reservations: A link to make your hotel reservation will be provided by LAIPLA. In order to receive the special discount hotel room rate of $325 per night, you must use the reservation link provided and make your hotel reservations directly with the resort. Please email your request for hotel reservation link to: firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Friday, March 22nd.
LAIPLA has negotiated special discounts, available only to registered LAIPLA attendees and their guests. This includes:
- Reduced Resort Fee of $15.00 per night, per room (regularly $35.00 per night, per room)
- Reduced Valet Parking Fee of $15.00 per night, per car (regularly $38.00 per car)
- Complimentary WiFi access
- 10% Discount off Golf Green Fees at the golf course (based on availability)
- 10% Discount off Spa Menu Treatment Services (50-minutes or longer treatments) for Friday and Sunday only. Guest must request Group Discount at time of booking
- Pool and Beach Chair usage
- Fitness Center access, including scheduled complimentary classes (subject to size limitations)
Additional Activities NOT included in the Basic Registration Fee:
LAIPLA Annual Golf Tournament – Enjoy the ocean view at every green on this beautiful 9-hole course. Can you putt, drive, or chip like a pro or just want to have fun with an afternoon of camaraderie? Our tournament scramble includes any level of player. Golf registration of $90 includes green fees, pull cart, contest prizes, water bottle, and a sleeve of balls. Sign up by April 15 to secure a spot in our tournament. Golf rentals are available for an additional cost.
By registering for this event you are guaranteeing your reservation. There are no cancellation refunds for this event. Registrations may only be transferred to someone at the Registrant’s Firm or Company.
All transfers must be made through the LAIPLA office at email@example.com.
Friday, April 26, 2019
Registration 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Opening Session 1:50 PM – 5:00 PM
Reception 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Poker Tournament 9:00 PM – 12:00 Midnight
Saturday, April 27, 2019
Breakfast 7:30 AM – 9:00 AM
Sessions 8:15 AM – 12:00 PM
Lunch Address 12:00 PM – 1:15 PM
Free Time 1:30 pm – 6:00 PM
Reception 6:30 pm – 7:30 PM
Dinner & Entertainment 7:30 PM – 10:00 PM
President’s Suite Party 10:00PM – 12:00 Midnight
Sunday, April 28, 2019
Session 9:00 AM – 11:15 AM