Gary Olsen, Senior Managing Director, B. Riley
Gary Olsen has worked on litigation matters related to intellectual property, corporate investigations, lost profits, and valuation matters for more than twenty years. He has provided expert witness testimony on damages matters including intellectual property, breach of contract and forensic accounting cases in various venues [including Federal Court], arbitration, international arbitration and mediation. He has testified and been retained as a damages expert in the healthcare, retail, professional services, consumer products, and construction industries.
Prior to joining B. Riley Advisory Services (formerly GlassRatner), Olsen held a senior leadership position with Cornerstone Research, an economic consulting firm, and was a forensic accountant with PricewaterhouseCoopers. Olsen’s clients include law firms, mediators, and corporations.
Representative assignments on which Olsen has worked include:
- Calculating intellectual property damages, including patent infringement, copyright, trade secret and trademark damages
- Estimating lost profits, economic damages, and lost business value on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants
- Representing class members as a damages expert in data breach and privacy-related litigation
Serving as a neutral expert witness retained by an arbitrator to evaluate claims of both parties
- Investigating matters related to alleged malfeasance, embezzlement, and securities fraud
- Evaluating damages opinions by accounting witnesses for sufficiency, accuracy, relevance and completeness
- Analyzing construction billing disputes and defect claims related to hotels, casinos, multi-use commercial properties and multi-family residential developments
- Assessing damages related to failed acquisitions due to seller fraud, due diligence failures, and minority shareholder claims
- Determining healthcare damages related to medical billing disputes, stolen patients, and infringement of medical device patents
- Reconciling large datasets at the center of disputes in the financial services, construction, healthcare and government contracting industries
- Valuing businesses in the context of litigation in the entertainment, professional services, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing and real estate industries
Olsen is a Certified Public Accountant (licensed in California), Accredited in Business Valuation (by the AICPA) and a Certified Patent Valuation Analyst. Olsen graduated from Brigham Young University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting and a Master of Accountancy in 1997.